The Kashveti Church
The Kashveti Church of St. George is a Georgian Orthodox Church situated near the Parliament building on Rustaveli Avenue.
The church was built between 1904 and 1910 by architect L. Bilfeldt, whose design was based on the medieval Samtavisi Cathedral. Kashveti was built on the basis of a destroyed church built of brick at the request of the Amilakhvari family in 1753. Important changes to the current church’s ornate design were made by N. Agladze. Kashveti’s frescoes were painted in 1947 by Georgian painter Lado Gudiashvili.
The name "kashveti" originates from Georgian words kva (stone) and shva (to give birth). It is believed that 6th century monk David of Gareja of the Thirteen Assyrian Fathers was accused by a woman of making her a pregnant in Tbilisi. David stated thta his denial would be proved when she gave birth to a stone. She did, and the place was called "kashveti."
Points of Interest
Georgian National Museum Giorgi Leonidze Museum of Literature Mose Toidze House Museum Museum of Fine Arts Museum of Georgian Folk Architecture Museum of Songs and Musical Instruments Museum of Soviet Occupation Simon Janashia Museum State Silk Museum
Anchiskhati Basilica Betania monastery Church of the Red Gospel David Gareja Monastery Gergeti Trinity Church Jvari Monastery Kashveti Church Lower Bethlehem Metekhi Temple Sameba Sioni Cathedral St Davit Ahgmashenebeli Church