Jermuk is a high class health-resort. The wonderful mild climate, pure mountain air, huge waterfall, attractive lake, healing mineral springs, thick forests, sparkling flowers make Jermuk town one of the most picturesque corners of Armenia.
Geographical Position and Climate
Jermuk resort-town is situated in RA Vayots Dzor Province, at about 2080 m above sea level. Jermuk is approximately 173 km from Yerevan. The overall population of the city is 7500.
Jermuk town is located on the plateau between Vardenis and Syunyats Mountains. The Arpa River, which divides Jermuk into 2 equal parts, originates from Vardenis and Syunyats Mountains. These wonderful mountains are covered with alpine vegetation and lush forests.
The average air temperature in Jermuk is:
- +0.4 C – in spring
- +15.3 C – in summer
- + 4.9 C – in autumn
- -9 C – in winter
Winters in Jermuk are snowy, but windless. The annual precipitation is about 800 mm.
Healing Mineral Springs in Jermuk
Jermuk is well-known for its magnificent springs. The sparkling water of Jermuk is exported to many countries of the world. There are springs of both sweet and mineral waters. There are also many thermal mineral springs.
The overall number of healing hot springs in Jermuk is 44. There are many mineral water pools in Jermuk gorge. These pools are for general public use and are usually crowded. So, you’d better go to these pools early in the morning.
There are thermal springs at the most popular sight of the city: Jermuk Drinking Gallery. These springs have different water temperature ranging from 45 -55°C. These are curative mineral springs with rich chemical composition. People drink this water and use it for medicinal baths. This water is used for curing the following diseases: diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (gastritis, gastric ulcer), liver, musculoskeletal, gynecological diseases, metabolic diseases (diabetes disease). The ruins of Middle Age mineral water pool testify that Jermuk mineral springs have been used for medical purposes since early times.
Jermuk is a popular tourist centre. There are many high-quality hotels and spas in Jermuk. The city hosts numerous international chess tournaments and festivals.
The Cities and Villages nearby Jermuk are:
- Yeghegnadzor city – about 47 km from Jermuk
- Kechut village – about 5 km from Jermuk
- Gndevaz village – about 14 km from Jermuk
- Noravanq village – about 66 km from Jermuk
Jermuk Points of Interest are:
- Jermuk Drinking Gallery, the most popular sight in Jermuk
- Kechut Reservoir
- Jermuk Waterfall with a height of 70 meters
- Jermuk city lake with boats
- Jermuk forests with walking trails and various monuments
Within easy reach of Jermuk are:
- Gndevanq Church, located in Gndevaz village, about 14 km from Jermuk
- Gladzor medieval university, situated in Yeghegnadzor city, about 47 km from Jermuk
- Noravanq complex, located in Noravanq village, about 66 km from Jermuk